Waistcoat for Rhys
The last week I’ve been working on this waistcoat for Rhys, using Burda pattern 7799.
The waistcoat is made using what I believe is worsted wool, which I bought from Abakhan Fabrics in Manchester years ago and use to make my Jenny skirt last year. The back of the waistcoat is polyester taffeta and its lined with a brown anti-static lining.
The waistcoat also features a welt pocket which was very complicated to make! I used wzrdreams one-piece welt pocket tutorial from Burda Style. It took me a practice to get it right and I still struggled with some of the steps, but I think the pocket on the final garment worked OK, although I chose to only do one breast pocket as I did not want to do a pocket across the dart seams.
After I made this garment I decided to have a go at making a quick scarf to match. This is made
using fabric I found in a tiny shop on Brick Lane. It took about 15 minutes and I think they look great together!
I used Burda’s 7799 Mens Waistcoat pattern, the pattern was odd and I
haven’t sewn a commercial Burda pattern before so I found the instructions quite complicated. I decided not to do the pockets as specified but did the welt pocket instead. The pattern also did not contain any instructions for lining, which threw me completely! So instead I had to draft a piece for the inside lining and add the facing to it. I then sewed the entire waistcoat again in lining fabric but left a slit in the centre back seam, sewed all around the edges before turning it through the slit.
Overall this pattern is great if you can figure out how to make a waistcoat and are OK with basics like darts and buttonholes, anything else and it might be a bit lacking. To be honest I only read the instructions briefly before deciding I’d rather do it on my own initiative. It worked out far easier than I thought and I only had to unpick one seam! 😛